St. Thomas A.M.E. Zion Church
St Thomas African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church was organized in 1846 in Haverstraw. The first services were held on Division Street, and the church shared a pastor with Nyack. In 1906, a new church was built on West Street after the devastating Haverstraw landslide. The church is still operating at 54 West Street.
Historical accounts note that St. Thomas housed the first school for Blacks in Rockland county from 1850-1890’s.
54 West Street, Haverstraw, NY
church, worship, Haverstraw
Give a comment